Friday, February 4, 2011

Section 2: Theories and Models of Learning and Instruction.

Identify a specific learning goal and how you would incorporate two learning theories highlighted in Chapter 4 to achieve this goal
(8th grade U.S.History TEKS) The student understands the causes of exploration and colonization eras. The student is expected to: (A) identify reasons for European exploration and colonization of North America. (B) explain the significance of the following dates: 1607
Specific learning goal is to find out what Jamestown was and why it was founded.
 I would use is Behavioral Learning Theory to explain to student how Jamestown was founded with a lesson on Jamestown followed by a Jeopardy game.  I would start the lesson, with telling students to listen up while having a positive attitude and having student to read a section on Jamestown from a powerpoint over Jamestown.  I would repeat important information for student to learn, over and over again.  During Jeopardy game I would reward student with candy or bonus points for right answers and correct student immediately for wrong answers.  During the entire lesson I would smile at students who are answering right and catching on to the subject.

The second learning theory I would use is schema theory.  With schema I would have to build upon previous knowledge from my 8th grade students.   The first thing I would do is review previous lesson on Queen Elizabeth to review how Virginia was named after her being the Virgin queen.  I would then let bring up a King James Bible to bring in student prior knowledge to show they have already heard of King James.  I would let student know that King James took over after queen Elizabeth because she did not have any children and that the colonist who left from England named the colony Jamestown in honor of the King.


2 comments:

  1. Floyd - love the idea - use of the King James Bible to tie in students' prior knowledge. you're a very creative teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using Jeopardy in class. I use it to review for tests and check for understanding quite often. I also really like how you tied the King James Bible to the lesson using the schema theory.

    ReplyDelete