Friday, February 4, 2011

ARCS model subcategories

You have been hired to design a course for a topic in your area of specialization. Using Table 9.2 as a template, what would you incorporate into each subcategory to motivate learners?
Lesson on 49ers in California

Attention
Perceptual Arousal  I would capture their interest with a San Francisco 49er helmet on the presentation
station Projector.


Inquiry Arousal  I would then ask student to figure out why do I have a football helmet on the projector.

Variability I would then bring a real 49ers helmet or show a poster for the gold rush to california.  I would try to use varity of ways to show each learning style maybe even sing so sheet music about the rush.

Relevance
Goal Orientation My being creative and teaching more than one learning style I can reach my students need also by adjusting teaching style by grades from my students.

Motive Matching My make sure that I am teaching not only to the TEKS but also to student higher level thinking skills.

Familiarity By showing student material and things that they know and like.  For example you can have students think of all the things that are made of gold and show how it is still use today.


Confidence
Learning Requirements By showing confidence and making sure that it is interesting and challenging lesson.

Success Opportunities By giving students many opportunity to be successful student want to continue to do more because they know that they will achieve.

Personal Control By having a clear define objective and by having easy to follow rules and procedures for learning.  Teacher must stick by these rules and procedures as well.

Satisfaction

Intrinsic Reinforcement By having students to create projects or use their skills in the outside world.

Extrinsic Rewards A grade that is not inflated but meanful with comments.

Equity By showing true interest in their work.

3 comments:

  1. I like your ideas for visuals to introduce the 49-ers and the Gold Rush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floyd - This is very captivating. A great idea that captures the attention of learners! An excellent post on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using the football helmet to capture student attention. This would definitely do it!

    ReplyDelete